Friday, March 17, 2023

Berra of Good News


Well, it’s happened again. Yesterday I ran into someone that everyone thinks is dead. Why it always happens to me is a mystery. In any case, who should I spot leaving a yoga studio, with a catcher’s mitt no less? Why it’s Yogi Berra!

Yogi! My man! How are you? And what are you doing here at a yoga studio? And what’s with the catchers mitt?

If you ask me anything I don’t know, I’m not going to answer.

There you go. Another classic Yogi answer.

I never said most of the things I said.

Sure. I have that problem too. Where are you headed?

If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Exactly. But just like in baseball, you need to master the mental part in order to build winning teams.

Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical.

So true. Why do you think you had some of those awful losing seasons?

We made too many wrong mistakes.

Yep, I get that. Is it possible that those teams just needed to practice more?

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

I think I follow that logic. But you always swore that you could learn a lot just by closely observing the way the team played.

You can observe a lot by just watching.

So true. And nobody’s perfect.

If the world were perfect, it wouldn’t be.

I was just thinking the other day that so many of the Yankee greats like Mantle and Ford have left us for the great diamond in the sky.

You should always go to other people’s funerals; otherwise, they won’t come to yours.

That’s the truth. Speaking of the truth, over the years there have been a great many stories about you.

Half the lies they tell about me aren’t true.

So what’s ahead for you? What are your plans?

The future ain’t what it used to be.

So I’ve heard. There are a lot of baseball fans who would like to know Yogi Berra’s secret to managing a winning team. Can you sum it up for them?

In baseball, you don’t know nothing.

Well said. So long Yogi!

Jay Harrison is a writer and creative consultant for DesignConcept. You can also visit his author page here. His newest mystery novel, Rio Puerco Demise is available on Amazon. His first mystery novel, Head Above Water, is also available on Amazon. But that’s not all. You can also purchase the Best of BoomSpeak on Amazon.

No comments: