Wednesday, March 1, 2023

AI Overload


Everyone is talking about Artificial Intelligence. I like to think that much of the grey matter in my brain is highly artificial, but they are talking about programs such as ChatGPT. Here you have a program that can compose music, write a play or a fairy tale, answer test questions, and even write poetry or song lyrics.

Yeah sure, but can it dance?

Seriously. Proponents of A.I. believe it will be a great asset for outsourcing the scutwork that has to be done every day. It’s already ubiquitous in such applications as Siri and Alexa, web ads, drones, facial recognition, spam filtering, translation apps, and self-driving cars. So what’s the big deal?

The dealbreaker for me is that we may end up with a lot of stuff that has no soul or sense of humor, and yet people will ooh and ah over the marvel of the technology. As a writer, my most valued commodity is my voice. When I discovered that I had a distinctive voice, it was one of the bigger aha! moments in my life. Whether it’s a good voice or bad voice may be up for debate, but I know that it’s what makes my prose unique. How can or will ChatGPT match that?

Will anyone be raving about how A.I. is so creative and imaginative? I doubt it. Humans do that. Everyday. Have been doing it for centuries. Whether it’s a painting, a play or a novel, if you remove the voice or the creative seed, what are you really left with? Answer: Something artificial. Instead of a seed you may only have the pits.

We’ve already accepted the fact that we cannot speak to a real person when we try to resolve a banking problem or book an airplane flight. We obediently toddle off to the chat feature to converse (that’s a stretch) with an A.I. bot that wants to know wants to know the nature of our problem (as if they are sentient enough to care). More and more of our daily interactions are going to be with the artificial intelligentsia.

Maybe they have the right name for A.I. after all. It is artificial. You might even say it’s synthetic. I prefer natural fibers.

Jay Harrison is a writer and creative consultant for DesignConcept. You can also visit his author page here. His newest mystery novel, Rio Puerco Demise is available on Amazon. His first mystery novel, Head Above Water, is also available on Amazon. But that's not all. You can also purchase the Best of BoomSpeak on Amazon.

No comments: